Social Media

Tuesday 11 August 2015

Beating Breakouts: (or skincare for PCOS)



I have had bad skin for as long as I can remember. I'm pretty sure in my school photo from when I was in Primary 7 (so at about 10 years old) I was already covered in the little red bumps of acne. This was probably because I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - a condition that effects 1 in 10 women. PCOS can be genetic - my mum and sister have it and it is likely my Grandma had it too. It can effect fertility, insulin resistance and has all kinds of really glamorous side effects including weight gain, excess body hair, hair loss and the one that effects me the most - bad skin! 

I've tried every treatment, cleanser and cream under the sun to try and get things under control and thought I had found the solution - but Liz Earle gave up on me recently so I've shaken things up and my skin has never been better! All thanks to French skincare brand La Roche Posay.


When my Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish (which I would still absolutely recommend by the way - it worked just fine for years) gave up on me recently I was absolutely devastated. But I decided to switch things up. I had read reviews on the La Roche Posay Micellar Water Cleansing Gel before and thought - what the hell. I absolutely love the gel formula of this product - it feels gorgeous and zingy on my skin. Being a micellar water it doesn't foam up but it is easy to tell where you haven't quite reached because those parts of your skin just don't feel quite so alive! It says in the directions not to rinse this off but I've never really been one to follow the rules. I use one of my Liz Earle muslin cloths to clean all the product from my face and add in a touch of exfoliating action. La Roche Posay Micellar Water Cleansing Gel is available from Boots for £12 - which is a bargain price for good skin if you ask me!

I follow this up with the La Roche Posay Serozinc Spray - you might have already heard of it. You spray this onto cleansed skin and let it sink in before moisturising, so it's kind of like the 'toning' step. Except for it is so much more than that - this thing should be called La Rosche Posay Spot Destructor Max or something else suitably super hero/ villain- esque. 'Your spots don't stand a chance.' Honestly, pop this on before bed and wake up to lovely, clear, spot free skin! I honestly couldn't recommend this stuff more highly - and it's only £8.50! 

I'm all about fuss free skin care that you can be bothered to do even after a night out and that works. These two bad boys are it! Little busy girl dreams!

What do you swear by for dealing with breakouts? 

Mhairi-Anne x

P.s. If you liked this I have another skincare post here :). 


No comments:

Post a Comment