Social Media

Wednesday 5 August 2015

Busy Girl Bites: moreish traybakes

A busy girl has got to keep her colleagues sweet. How else are you going to call in all those favours? I find the best way is to sweeten them up with a big dose of sugar! This week I baked these tasty traybakes - a recipe passed down from my Grandma to my mum to me! - and now I have my lil engineers wrapped around my even littler finger! *evil cackle* 



Ingredients:
For the biscuit base:
300g digestive biscuits
3 tablespoons golden syrup
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
3lbs butter

For the topping:
450g milk chocolate

Method:
1) Pop your digestives in a mixing bowl and get a rolling pin or other blunt instrument of your choice. Bash all the digestives up into fine crumbs. This can take a while so I suggest popping something on YouTube or Netflix while you do this. I watched RuPaul's Drag Race. #TeamAlaska 

2) Put the butter, syrup and cocoa powder into a pan on a medium heat. Stir until everything has melted and created a sticky brown mixture. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 1 minute. 

3) Pour your sticky mixture (or glue as one of my engineers called it) into the biscuit crumbs and mix. Make sure everything is nice and wet (you'll be able to tell because the mixture turns the crumbs a dark brown colour). If you still have some dry bits melt a bit more butter and mix that in. 

4) Transfer the mixture to a baking sheet and press down so that it covers the surface of the sheet and is nice and flat and smooth. Pop the sheet into the fridge to cool.

5) Melt the chocolate in a Pyrex bowl over a pan of simmering water while the biscuit mix cools. Once the mixture is cool pour the chocolate over the top to create an even topping. Put your tray back in the fridge and leave for a few hours (or even better - overnight) to set.

6) Cut your traybake into nice little squares. You really don't need big bits of this stuff because it is so sweet and rich. It's like crack though - people cannot get enough! Mine lasted a grand total of 4 hours on Monday. And there were 2 tins! 



Happy baking!

Mhairi-Anne x

No comments:

Post a Comment